Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Mount Moriah

Abraham was promised by God that he would be the father of many nations, yet by age 99 he still hadn't had a child of his own. Not to mention that fact that his wife, Sarah, was up there in age too and way beyond child bearing years. Yet, when God makes a promise He keeps it, afterall, He is God. So after many years of waiting on this promise to come to pass, finally at the age of 100, Abraham's son,Isaac, was born. He loved him so very much. Possibly too much. Because one day God ask Abraham to take his son Isaac, and go up to Mt.Moriah and sacrifice him as a burnt offering. Abraham loved God so much, that the next morning he loaded a donkey with firewood, took two of his servants, and his precious, long awaited promise of a son, Isaac, and with a very heavy heart headed out to do as the Lord ask of him.
Most of us know the story well. Abraham stopped at the place the Lord showed him, built an alter, and tied his son, Isaac, down upon the firewood for the sacrifice the Lord had required. As Abraham lifted the knife up high, I'm certain with tears in his eyes and a cry in his heart, to plunge it into his beloved son, an angel of the Lord shouted,"Abraham, Abraham, don't harm your son. I know now you love God more than you love your son..." Then Abraham looked and saw a ram caught in a thicket and sacrificed it on the alter instead of Isaac. Then Abraham called that place, Jehovah Jireh, the Lord will provide.
I've often thought, why on earth would God promise Abraham this precious son, and have him wait on this promise for so many years, only building the love and anticipation, then ask him to sacrifice this promise as a burnt offering unto Him. The only thing I can come up with is that Abraham must have grown to love Isaac so very much that his love for him must have made God jealous. Exodus 20:4 tells us we are to make no idols of any kind and place them above God. He is a jealous God and will share his affection with no one or thing.

I have trudged up Mount Moriah several times in my life and have laid down my Isaacs on the alter, to my God, in surrender to His request. I've had dreams and yes, promises from God that He has asked me to sacrifice. I've lifted the knife and have anticipated a voice from heaven stopping me before I plunge it into my dream or promise, yet none has come. So with tears and sobs, and a heart crushed with sorrow and pain, I've sacrificed my dreams and promises to my God that I love more than any thing else. Did I love these things more than God? I don't think so for a second. If God promised me I could have them, why did He ask me to give them up? I don't have all the answers, but I trust the One who does. He is Jehovah Jireh, He will provide.

So as I journey up Mount Moriah, once again, and willingly lay, yet, another "Isaac" on the alter, it becomes a little easier with each climb. The obedience to sacrifice is a little less begrudging and the surrender is more a release of trust, knowing He will provide a ram instead, but if not, He has something far better in store. I trust Him. I dearly love Him. I believe I have proven that as I lay my Isaacs down.

No comments: