Wednesday, August 15, 2012

YAYA CRIED




Today was a really sad day for me. But not sad in the way that you would think.
Today my oldest grandbaby, Kylie, whom I affectionately call Toogie, started Kindergarden. She was so excited that she woke up extra early, only to have to be sent back to bed by her father for another hour.
I woke early, too, as I was not going to miss this very significant day for her. I threw on my clothes and was out the door before 7:00 am to help get her ready for her big day. (we only live a mile apart) I'm sure I would have been there for this monumental day even if her mommy was there to get her ready, but she wasn't, and this precious little girl just needed a "mommy's" touch for this important day. I had joyfully accompanied her and her dad, just two days before to officially enroll her and to bring in all the necessary forms. She wanted, so badly to go see her classroom right then, but the hall was locked up for the day. She breathed a heavy sigh and disgustingly announced, "I am just so sick of waiting." (truly, she is an actress already)
When I arrived at their house, Toog leaped in excitment as I entered the door. She said, sticking out her chest, "Look Yaya, I'm ready for school. I'm wearing this because this is Justice's favorite color.(her almost 3 year old little brother) and I will miss him today, so I'm wearing this for him. Is that good?" It took me a brief moment to answer her because I was swallowing the lump that was rising up in my throat. "Yes, Honey, that is a great idea." Her other grandma had bought her a cute "Hello Kitty" dress and a "Hello Kitty" shirt and shorts which had been her favorite choices to have to decide between for this day, but she chose to forsake both of those pink, girly favs to honor her little brother. I really couldn't believe that she picked a green shirt with multi colors on front, and blue shorts to match, over her prized possessions, but she did. She brushed her teeth and I fixed her hair and off we went, along with her two little brothers, her daddy and her Poppy too. When we arrived, I took some quick pictures of the whole family in front of her school sign, then she reached out for my left hand, and squeezed it tightly, with her "Hello Kitty" backpack flung over her left shoulder, and we headed toward her new environment, walking down that long sidewalk. My first tears were shed as I whispered her mommy's name to myself and knew that down deep inside that tiny little girl's heart, she would give anything to be holding her mama's hand instead(or too). We entered the classroom and she walked straight to her cubicle that had her name on it and put away her backpack, then found her desk with her name on it as well. Pictures were taken left and right by myself and her quiet daddy, whose face showed both excitement for his daughter, saddness because the love of his life and mother of his daughter wasn't here with us, and a tiny loss because his baby girl was growing up. Toogie smiled, looked at me in the eyes, as I squated down next to her sitting at her desk, and kissed me. We said our goodbyes and walked out. Fighting back tears, so full of joy and sorrow, we exited the Kindergarden hall and approached the main lobby. The loud speaker came on and the voice of the lady principal rang out, "Good morning students, let's all stand and say the pledge allegience to the flag of the United States of America." That did it! I could no longer hold back every pent up emotion I was fighting. I let the tears flow, looking down at Justice, as his daddy paused to place his little hand over his heart, for the last words of the pledge spoken," and justice for all." YES, I thought, with a smile on my face and a pride in my heart as we walked out those doors.  Another generation learning to pay tribute to our Godly heritage, even if things aren't exactly like we long for them to be, a yaya can smile and cry, full of pride for her grandbaby and for her country. What could be better than that?

2 comments:

mommie222 said...

Dear Yaya,
I am sure that you did everything you could to make Toogie's first day of schoo just as special as if her mother would have been able to be there herself. That story touched my heart so much and made me tear up. How much she must miss her mommy, but she has her daddy and grandparents to fill the void. I am so happy the day went well for you both <3

Unknown said...

dawne of creation,

Yaya,

You are an amazing writer, thank you for sharing your gifts with others!!!
Be blessed.
Sue Miller